Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Frogs, Bees, Butterflies In My Yard

Volunteering as a Watershed Steward and studying with the Native Plant Society has taught me many things about nature. First: the environment for plant growth does NOT need to be PERFECT for foliage to thrive. In fact - I have learned (from trial and error) that my cucumbers grow best in a well drained soil; such as in the rocky shaded area pictured below; where I've added significant amounts of rabbit manure and compost.

Allowing heaps of cut branches (e.g., from my mint plants and other invasive/rapidly growing foliage) to remain in a small pile means frogs now thrive in my yard. Because frogs are going extinct -- and simply because weed-killers and pesticides also kill other wildlife besides the invading undesirable plant . . . Doug and I never employ such. After five years of living here and attempting to restore our yard to a more natural habitat -- Frogs are now entertaining us daily (migrating here in numbers).
Can you see BOTH frogs (there are two of them) in this next photo?
With honey-bees being on the decline (I believe it is due to the extensive use of pesticides, but mostly due to climate change) I'm thankful for the bumble-bees that continue to pollinate our raspberries . . .
and my lavender plants . . .
and the yarrow-like flowers . . .
Can you find the grasshopper in this next photo? Hint: he's facing westward (with his tail pointing east). Click on the photo to enlarge it.
Grasshopper has been trying to tell me something lately. I still haven't figured out how to use the zoom on my camera . . .
meanwhile, grasshopper waited for me to put the camera lens right next to him.
See below . . . when he flies, he looks much like a black and white moth or butterfly . . .
Lovingly,
~ SunTiger

2 comments:

Fijufic said...

Awesome plants.

I miss you Sun. I can't connect to blogger at work...

Love,
Bobby

SunTiger said...

Ah. Thanks Bobby. How very nice of you to say. {e-hug}.

OTHER WEBSITES MAINTAINED BY SUNTIGER

People Blessed From Visiting Since 2/22/09

Hail And Welcome!