Tuesday, November 24, 2009

New Moon - Twilight Movie & Book Series

I went to watch "New Moon" at the theater yesterday, with my sister Kelly (pictured left, below). She utterly loved the movie, while Kelly has never read any of the books.

I have read the books and felt the beginning could have been planned much better -- such as the part where Bella is laying in the woods, grieving Edward's sudden departure. (Her acting just seemed to leave much to be desired, I wanted to see real GRIEF, not mere curling into a ball as though she was simply going to nap.)

Meanwhile . . . that's just my opinion. There was some really cool special computer animation and camera effects, such as how time went by in Bella's room and the werewolf phenomena. By the end of the movie I felt very glad I'd gone to see it.

REGARDING THE BOOKS: I loved book 1 (called "Twilight") more than the first movie. I hated how that first movie presented Edward as a stalking-predator-dominating personality who shows up in a young girl's room uninvited, long before she's expressed any interest in him. The book never did that. I couldn't put down the second book, "New Moon" either. By book three, "Eclipse," I began to feel irritated with Bella and wanted to shout. "Make up your mind already. Decide who you love and stop torturing the other man!"

There's just something terribly cruel about leading a man on, romantically, week-after-week and month-after-month when Bella seriously has romantic intentions for someone else, entirely. By book four, Breaking Dawn," when Bella's pregnant, nothing about Stephenie Meyer's writing makes sense. In nature, wild cats give birth to offspring born with fangs and claws but Bella can't carry a square-toothed "human" baby without having it destroy her entire body. That same book would have us believe that Jake only loved Bella because of the infant she carried, when he was obviously infatuated with Bella long before she ever became pregnant. DUMB-de-dumb-dumb!

All that being stated . . . I still think Stephenie Meyer is an entertaining writer. Her books are worth reading for that purpose -- even when I didn't always agree with the plot or story line.

9 comments:

Fijufic said...

My daughter thought the books were much better than the films...She reads them all.

Happy Thanksgiving.

Love,
Bobby

SunTiger said...

Like I said, Bobby. I liked the first two books. The series went rapidly down-hill after that. Book four was the worst for stupid plot. Oh well. It was still entertaining.

Arawn Graalrd said...

I wonder what they're really talking about, when they tout the Vampire Schtick. Real Vampires are a lot brighter, than those Burn-Me-At-The-Stake Wannabes.

I saw 2012, last night, and I want to recommend everybody see this, when their library has the DVD in stock. It might make a decent point of discussion, in comparison with Airport and Airplane. Dramatic Special Effects are unmatched by the available story telling. Somebody put a lot of thought, in end of the world disaster scenarios, and how to present visually, but the rest of the production was terrible, as a Garnish upon the Swill.

Wednesday Night, we had canned soup, without the garnish, and I'm beginning to understand the word Swill.

I've taken Gesundheit! back to the library, and my criticism of Patch leaves me much to think of. His efforts to establish Zaney Clinics are as stymied as my own to relaunch the Wyld Hunt. His teachings are backwards, with one small recommendation to lead with your heart, where we all know, Joy is just the tip of the Iceberg. Vast fortunes are chomping at the bit, to jump through his fingers, but his buisiness model needs for him to accept Health Insurance as a patient.

Which patient could I have been neglecting?

Arawn Graalrd

LearningLifelong said...

I have no intention of paying $10 to see New Moon when I was so disappointed with Twilight!

SunTiger said...

Arawn ~ 2012 is thought provoking and worth-seeing film; even if it's just for the special effects and computerized-athletics. Meanwhile, how dumb that the "boy gets girl" story is so desperate the son's beloved step dad must die so Boy-1 can have his ex-wife back (A little too convenient). There were certainly some very fun parts but what about the stupid lines about breast implants? The plot is just dumb, most of it not believable, but it was very entertaining nonetheless.

Pandemona ~ New Moon was worth watching even if you only wanted to see Jacob Black flex his pecs. I hated the first movie too. It made Edward look like an uninvited, unwanted, control-freak stalker (quite unlike the way he is portrayed in the book). New Moon (the movie) was slow in its beginning but it really got better mid-way through and was incredible by the end.

Arawn Graalrd said...

Entertaining, but I don't think it was meant to be a comedy. It would have been better, had Sasha survived his smile of relief.

9PM, this evening, I hope I don't miss seeing my city on Travel Channel. The show is titled Haunted Places or Ghost Hunters, or something, Remington Arms.

Oh, remember not to argue, with a Paranormal Researcher, unless you happen to like argument, a lot.
OK, not to beat a dead horse lol, our first official coffee for Forest Moon Investigations will be tomorrow at 2PM starting. I have all new investigative equipment coming in the mail today for us to examine and am printing out the official investigative packets, code of conduct etc for us to familiarize with. We will start going over Paranormal and Conspiracy topics to start discussing and come up with a calendar of events to discuss. Coffee and Cider will be free flowing and will be a fun time had by all. Give me a call if you need directions (360) 610-5423 and will see you tomorrow.
Eric and Ashley

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/medicyne_eagle/

Arawn Graalrd

SunTiger said...

Arawn ~ I'm ready to take a break. Maybe I can go see if New York is on the travel channel right now. :-D Obviously I'm not IN New York . . . were you targeting my readers with your little blurb there; listing the phone number?

BonnieBehave said...

I actually had more of a problem with the way the second movie reunited Bella and Edward ... it seemed rushed to me--and for me it was the best part of the book! But the movie was still done fairly well as far as book-to-movies go.

I've seen a lot worse, that's for sure.

SunTiger XO said...

BonnieBehave ~ I'd have to agree with everything you just stated. :-D

OTHER WEBSITES MAINTAINED BY SUNTIGER

People Blessed From Visiting Since 2/22/09

Hail And Welcome!